Disclaimer: This post contains affiliate links, meaning if you click the link and make a purchase, I will receive a commission at no extra cost to you. Read more in my Disclosure Policy.
Self-care is officially taking the world by storm. And good thing too! Self-care is so incredibly important. Having an arsenal of self-care ideas is an amazing tool to have to get through everything from simple issues to things that impact your life in a major way.
And self-care isn’t just for the people that have mental illnesses, either. Everybody goes through something, not matter how small. Having the ability to take care of yourself through those situations is vital. You don’t have to be diagnosed with an illness to have reason to do that!
Sometimes the only hard part is coming up with things that actually help. Everyone’s self-care is different, and your routine should definitely be personalized to your needs. Below I’ve compiled a list of any and all ideas that I could come up with. They could be used just to relax, get through an anxiety attack, find motivation or find peace with a long term issue.
Related: 8 Tips to Battle Your Seasonal Depression
Some ideas will work for you, and some won’t. Deciding on which things to include in your routine is entirely up to you!
Here it goes (in no particular order)!
- Buy or make a hot drink like a latte, or hot chocolate
- Brush your hair
- Listen to music that puts you in a good mood
- Make your bed
- Take three deep breaths
- Eat some ice cream
- Do your makeup
- Wash your face (this is the wash I’ve been loving recently)
- Purposefully take a break from work or school if you’re in the middle of it
- Eat some fruit or a salad
- Do some jumping jacks
- Blast a song and dance it out
- Read a book
- Take a nap
- Write in your journal
- Call someone important to you
- Watch a funny movie
- Watch funny videos on YouTube (cat videos are my personal favorite)
- Work out
- Do a brain dump and write down everything you can think of
- Make a craft
- Take a bubble bath
- Play with your pets
- Make a good breakfast
- Do yoga or Pilates
- Clean your room
- Start and completely finish a load of laundry
- Try a new hairstyle
- Go for a walk
- Watch an episode of your favorite show
- Get one of those adult coloring books and color (or a kids book, honestly those are more fun)
- Go on Pinterest and search something you really like or dream about (hairstyles, your wedding, etc)
- Call a friend and see if they want to hang out
- Reorganize your desk
- Sort through your clothes and donate some
- Make a new outfit from old clothes
- Go yard sale-ing
- Find a new piece of music to practice
- Take a long, hot shower
- Drink a glass of water
- Write a letter to someone
- Play a video game
- Use your phone and practice your (possibly imaginary) photography skills
- Go outside for a few minutes and breathe in the fresh air
- Put social media away for a few hours
- Start writing a story
- Hug your favorite stuffed animal
- Drink a glass of wine
- Do a face mask
- Go through old photos and look back at memories
- Wake up early
- Go to bed early
- Change the sheets on your bed
- Make a list of your goals (short term and long term) and how you can achieve them
- Go shopping
- Go out at night and look at the stars
- Go for a run
- Try something new that you’ve always wanted to but never have
- Make a list of something (bucket list, books to read, movies to watch, grocery list, anything!)
- Go hiking
- And finally, allow yourself to feel anything you need to, but make sure to pick yourself up afterward
Finding your own self-care routine is imperative to fuel yourself in a healthy way every day. Hopefully you find inspiration in the ideas above!
And if you’re ready to take your self-care to the next level and REALLY make it work for you, check this out!
Do you have any more ideas? I’d LOVE to hear them – tell me in the comments!